welcome

a little taste of what we get up to!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Top literacy student

While shopping at the mall, I bump into my eldest daughter’s deputy principal. She asks me “Did your daughter give you the good news?”   What news?Huh? What are you talking about? What did my child NOT tell me? These are the thoughts that run through my mind in that split second before I shake my head. She then informs me that my daughter is the top literacy student in her grade (grade 6) and I must be so proud of her.

Yep, proud of her I am, but why did the child not tell me?

I get home and after unpacking the groceries, making myself a cup of coffee, pestering here and there, I finally get the courage to ask her. Did anything interesting happen at school this week? Negative. Anything at all? Nope. Then I finally come out with it. Your teacher says you’re the top literacy student. Response: Oh that.

Oh that? I’m bursting out of my seams with pride and the child says “oh that”.  Okay, so maybe I’m missing the whole plot. Isn’t ANY achievement, no matter how small, something to be proud of?

Then I just cannot resist asking why she didn’t tell us. Response: Because I like Maths more.

Trying to understand your kids must be ranked right up there with understanding rocket science! Fingers crossed

No comments:

Post a Comment